Services for Refugees & Immigrants
Refugee Center and Community School at Reynolds (RCCSR):
A Project of the Rotary Club of Lancaster
IU13 is proud to be the lead agency in a partnership to create a community center housed at Reynolds Middle School (School District of Lancaster) with a focus on refugees and immigrants, with the mission to engage community members in opportunities for education, integration, wellness, and work leading to self-sufficiency and enrichment.
Services and supports provided include:
Succeed in School:
- Extended day programming
- Uniform bank
- Support for connecting to school and advocating for their child’s education
- Additional ESL services before or after school
- Health services
- Wellness groups
- Financial literacy workshops
- Empower Kits, provided by Power Packs
- Parent workshops
Join Our Community:
- Cultural navigation
- English as a Second Language (ESL) classes for adults
- Citizenship Classes for adults
"We’re Glad You’re Our Neighbor"
The Refugee Center and Community School at Reynolds Middle School is giving away welcome signs to help raise money for refugee and immigrant families in Lancaster. With each donation, money raised will go towards providing valuable integration services for refugee and immigrant families.
Please use this link to make a donation and receive a sign: http://llefoundation.org/
Parents are welcome to join us for the following upcoming workshops at The Refugee Center and Community School at Reynolds (605 W. Walnut Street, Lancaster, PA). All are free. Preregistration is required. Please contact us at 717-947-1523 or via email to register or with any questions.
Mental Health Workshop - Licensed PA Counselor answers questions raised by Refugee/Immigrant families regarding mental health and other daily basis issues and helps connect this group of people to other service agencies
• Time: 1:00-2:00 PM
• Dates: February 10, March 3, April 7, and May 5, 2017
Stretching and Mindfulness (Yoga) - Trained Yoga instructors from Evolution Yoga, Lancaster conduct this workshop that contributes and promotes mindfulness in people.
• Time: 6:00-7:30 PM
• Dates: February 15, March 15, April 19, and May 17, 2017
Craft Circle - Lancaster Reuse - Craft Circle encourages people in painting, weaving, making ornaments/jewelries and several others that are helpful to Refugee/Immigrant women.
• Time: 6:00-7:00 PM
• Dates: February 21, March 22, and April 26, 2017
The Refugee Center and Community School serves as the hub of activity for community partners:
IU13 is the lead agency and will provide a community school director and services including ESL tutoring, afterchool programming, and parent engagement activities. IU13 will provide technical support for the data collection and analysis system.
Literacy Council (Lit Co) will serve as the lead agency for United Way funding, coordinating project activities. Lit Co will provide English as a Second Language (ESL) instruction, academic skills, GED preparation, career pathways and post-secondary education preparation.
Church World Service (CWS) and Bethany Christian Services (BCS) will provide cultural orientation classes that support self-sufficiency through education in financial literacy, health and employment. BCS will provide mentors who assist refugees in achieving career goals.
South East Lancaster Health Services (SELHS) will provide a medical home for immigrants and refugees at the Community School, including dental screening and primary medical services.
School District of Lancaster (SDoL) will provide space at Reynolds Middle School for the Community School and evening access for community programming. SDoL will provide a framework for Community School management and guide the collaborative in strategies for engaging the school community. In addition, SDoL will provide 21st Century Community Learning Center Extended Day Programming.
Franklin & Marshall College (F&M) will provide student interns and supervise an AmeriCorps VISTA who will support the work of this project.
In the News:
- "Lancaster refugee center, community school marks 1 year anniversary of opening" - LancasterOnline Article (12/14/16)
- "Center for refugees in Lancaster County celebrates anniversary" - Fox 43 News (12/13/16)
- "School guides refugees through maze of American life" - PennLive Article (12/13/16)
- "Reynolds Middle School refugee center getting ready for opening" - LancasterOnline Article (9/21/2015)
- "Lancaster County center ready for influx of Syrian refugees" - Fox 43 News (9/24/2015)
- "Efforts to resettle refugees worth privilege to nonprofits, religious groups" - LancasterOnline Editorial (9/25/2015)