PA Institute for Instructional Coaching (PIIC)
PIIC's Mission: To support instructional coaching which helps teachers strengthen instructional practice, increase student engagement, and improve student learning.
The Pennsylvania Institute for Instructional Coaching (PIIC) supports instructional coaches across the state through IU mentors in a variety of settings. PIIC is a grant-funded project through PDE and the Annenberg Foundation, so there is no cost to districts to participate. Currently, coaches from thirteen IU13 districts are involved with PIIC.
Opportunities for coaching support from the IU mentor include:
- Monthly Coaches’ Networking Meetings
- On-site Support
- Statewide Coaching Conferences
- Penn Literacy Network Graduate Course
PIIC’s model of effective coaching to assist teachers in classrooms is based upon these core elements:
- PIIC advocates one-on-one and small-group support for teachers, coaches, and school leaders.
- PIIC focuses on collecting, analyzing, and using data to identify student needs, assess changes in classroom instructional practice, and measure student progress.
- PIIC emphasizes the use of evidence-based literacy practices and research-based instructional techniques.
- PIIC supports reflective and non-evaluative practices.
Additional resources related to PIIC and instructional coaching can be found at:
For more information about PIIC, please contact Marisa Herr at (717) 606-1654 or email@example.com.