Substitute/Guest Teacher Training
Upcoming Training Dates: TBD
Lancaster-Lebanon IU13 offers the Guest Teacher Training on behalf of Lancaster and Lebanon County school districts. Individuals who have earned a bachelor’s degree in any content area are eligible to enroll in the program. The Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) allows school districts and intermediate units to apply for an emergency certification for qualified applicants. Applicants completing the Guest Teacher Training requirements are eligible to substitute in IU13 classrooms and area school districts.
The Guest Teacher Training is a three-day program that begins each day at 8:00 AM and ends at 3:30 PM. A continental breakfast is provided each day. Lunch is on your own. There is an on-site cafeteria. A $50 non-refundable registration fee, an interview, completed PA Standard Teaching Application, and references are required prior to the training. Registration is on a first-come/first-serve basis.
To register, the following three items MUST be received in the Human Resources Services Office by the registration deadline:
- Guest Teacher Training Application (PA Standard Teaching Application Revised for Guest Teacher Program)
- $50 non-refundable Training Fee (check or money order may be made payable to IU 13)
- Two (2) completed Reference Forms
IU13 Human Resources Services will contact applicants with a date and time to attend an interview prior to the training. Any applicant who fails to attend an interview will not be invited to attend the training program. Paperwork will not be accepted at the interview.
The additional items and clearances below will be required to complete the participant’s file. Please carefully review the guidelines provided below and follow all instructions. Bring any completed paperwork with you to the training. (These items are not required to attend the training but must be received before a participant is eligible to begin substitute teaching.)
- Read and follow the GUIDELINES to prepare for the training.
- Official Transcript(s) - sealed, official transcript(s) confirming receipt of a bachelor’s degree must be submitted. Applicants should have them sent to their home address. DO NOT HAVE TRANSCRIPTS SENT TO IU13. Transcripts that have been opened are invalid and will not be accepted.
- PA Child Abuse Clearance (Cost is $10.00)*
- PA Criminal Record Check (Cost is $10.00)*
- FBI Fingerprint Check (Cost is $28.75) - applicant will need to provide the Registration Number provided when their fingerprints are obtained. Make sure you select "Pennsylvania Department of Education" when you register for the FBI fingerprint check.
- School Personnel Health Record (includes TB test/results)
- Employment Eligibility Verification Form and a listing of acceptable forms of identification to complete the form properly (I-9).
- Documentation of Employee Status for Act 29 of 1994
- PSERS Form
- Classroom Observation Form
- W-4 Form
- Arrest/Conviction Report and Certification Form (Act 24 of 2011)
* Original documents will be required at the Guest Teacher Training.
Additional Program Requirements
- Any additional paperwork will be provided to each participant at the training.
- Each applicant will be required to complete a classroom observation. Contact information for the participating school districts will be provided at the training. The classroom observation will be waived for those participants holding a teaching certification from any state. Participants will be required to provide a copy of the teaching certificate from the issuing state.
A person educated in a foreign country may be eligible for substitute teaching provided the applicant meets the requirements set forth by the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE). Each foreign-educated applicant will be required to have his/her credentials evaluated. A list of organizations is provided on PDE’s website.
For more information, please call 717-606-1849 or email email@example.com.