From the Executive Director
2016: The Start of a New Year
Welcome to 2016! We are nearly halfway through the 2015-2016 school year, which is nearly impossible to believe. Yet, despite not having an official Pennsylvania state budget, our work and commitment to those we serve has continued.
Each and every day I have the pleasure of
seeing the work that is being done at IU13 and the difference it’s making for students, families, school districts, and communities, be it:
- The multiple disabilities support teacher who writes a play each year specifically adapted to incorporate the unique and special needs of her students, teaching us all how to embrace differences with compassion,
- The Early Intervention staff impacting the lives of nearly 3,000 preschoolers each year as they prepare for kindergarten,
- The 198 school board members (from Lancaster and Lebanon counties) who volunteer their time to offer guidance and direction in our work,
- The tech support teams who make sure that our technology is always running (just like hitting a light switch) each and every day, and
- The work of our Collaborative Services team helping our school districts find cost-saving options for everything from paper supplies to batteries to electricity.
This is just a sampling of the powerful and multifaceted work that creates the fabric of IU13. We are here to serve, innovate, and problem solve. And when we see a group of students use their mobile devices to recite lines on stage, help a preschooler enter kindergarten no longer needing speech therapy, and hear of a school district saving thousands of dollars through collaboration, we get JAZZED and it inspires us to forge ahead. It proves that we are making a difference!
Inside this issue are a few short stories and videos about our work. I encourage you to take some time and view them (and even share them with your digital network of family, friends, and coworkers). And if you have a question about a particular service or want to offer a suggestion, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are always listening and ready to serve!
Brian D. Barnhart, Ed.D.