by Amanda Paveglio
“STEM education.” Does the term make you think of 3D printers, test tubes, and noisy classrooms? Or calculators and computer labs? Or simply… question marks? If you’re a little unsure of what STEM education is, or what it could look like in your school or district, not to worry: the STEM Team at IU13, part of the Instructional Services Department, is here to help.
“STEM” is shorthand for “science, technology, engineering, and mathematics,” and STEM education encourages teaching those subjects in an integrated way, rather than in isolation. After all, in the workplace and in life, students will need to combine their math, science, and design skills to solve problems creatively.
That integration can take many forms, though, and IU13 recognizes that there is no “one size fits all” solution. So through the STEM Team, IU13 offers a wide range of innovative solutions for STEM Education, from district memberships in a STEM Consortium to coaching and other on-site support in schools. The STEM Team also helps facilitate workshops, training institutes, and other professional development opportunities for teachers and administrators alike.
Here are a few specific examples of recent and upcoming IU13 STEM Education activities:
- Networking groups for STEM educators and administrators
- Camp Invention and other student summer camps
- STEMathon Conference for educators
- 24 Math Student Competition for grades 4-8
- AP Mathematics Simulations for teachers and students
- The 2015 PULSE Summer STEM Institute for middle- and high-school STEM educators
- Elementary STEM Bowl and other STEM student competitions
- Annual STEM Awards Banquet honoring STEM Teachers of the Year
If you have questions or ideas about STEM education and how the IU13 STEM Team can support and enhance STEM in your school or district, we’d love to hear from you! Please visit STEM Solutions at IU13, call 717-606-1822 or email email@example.com.