HiSET Test for Applicants under Age 18
Young adults under 18 who wish to take the HiSET have some specific requirements. Here are the basics, and we are here to help!
The Pennsylvania Department of Education requires the following before you register for HiSET testing:
The minimum age for testing is 18. Applicants 16-17 years of age may take the test at the written request of:
- An employer stating that you are required to have a high school equivalency for job opportunities (on company letterhead);
- A college or a university official who will consider acceptance of the applicant on the basis of HiSET test scores;
- A recruiting official for persons who wish to enter a branch of the Armed Forces for which a high school equivalency is a prerequisite;
- The director of a state institution for residents, patients, or inmates, no earlier than 90 days before anticipated release or discharge from the institution.
- You must obtain an official letter of withdrawal from the last K-12 school you attended.
Candidates under age 18 who qualify to take the test will be issued a letter attesting to the successful completion of the examination and stating that the diploma will be issued when he or she reaches 18.
If you have any questions about the requirements for the State of Pennsylvania’s HiSET testing, the HiSET program, or the Lancaster-Lebanon IU13’s Community Education Program, please feel free to contact our office any time.