IU13 Lebanon County Office - One Cumberland Building
The IU13 One Cumberland Building serves as the hub of IU13 staff and services in Lebanon County. The building is a home to Lebanon County Early Head Start and Head Start classes, as well as school-age School to Work students and Community Education adult learners.
Due to a water main break in December 2022, the building is currently closed for repairs and upgrades.
About One Cumberland Programs
The Early Head Start Home-Based Program serves children from birth to age 3. Home visits provide eligible Lebanon County parents with information on child development, nutrition, and health and community services. In addition, a parent/child activity is included. Pregnant women and children between the ages of birth to three years old are eligible for Early Head Start.
- Contact: email@example.com or 717-450-1512
Lebanon County Head Start/Pre-K Counts serves children from age 3 to Kindergarten. Head Start/Pre-K Counts is a comprehensive preschool program for three and four-year-old children and their families. It is designed to strengthen and encourage early literacy, social development, resourcefulness, and self-sufficiency by providing positive learning experiences. In Lebanon County, IU13 partners with the six school districts to provide young children with the school readiness skills they need to succeed in kindergarten.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or 717-450-1512
The School-to-Work (STW) program provides community-based training in real work settings. The program, which is available for high school students with disabilities, is designed to help students learn self-determination and functional academics, and to establish linkages to adult service agencies.
- Contact: Matt Ammons, email@example.com
Lebanon County adults benefit from the range of IU13 Community Education programs and services. Adult learners can take classes to improve their basic skills, including preparing for the High School Equivalency Testing (GED or HiSET), learning English, or developing job skills.
- Contact: Jessica Barnhart, firstname.lastname@example.org
History of the One Cumberland Building
Originally constructed in 1907 as the main office of American Iron and Steel Manufacturing Company, the overall operation began as Pennsylvania Bolt and Nut Company in 1882 and became part of American Iron and Steel Manufacturing Company in 1889 when the latter acquired it as well as the Lebanon Iron Company and East Lebanon Iron Company, both of Lebanon, and J.H. Sternbaugh and Son and National Bolt, Nut and Rivet companies of Reading. American Iron and Steel Manufacturing Company, with these operations combined, was the “largest manufacturer of bolts, nuts, rivets and kindred articles in the world” and had “4,000 employees with an annual output of 150,000 tons” according to the Bethlehem Steel Lebanon Plant’s “Plant Centennial Edition” of its newsletter. This building was built by American Iron and Steel Manufacturing Company as its main business office for the plant in 1907 and began its use when staff moved in on January 6, 1908.
American Iron and Steel Manufacturing Company was purchased by Bethlehem Steel Corporation in 1916, and this site was the company’s Industrial Fasteners Division through 1986, with the building at One Cumberland Street remaining the plant’s main office. Bethlehem Steel Corporation’s Lebanon Plant, on a 100-acre site which includes the main office as well as industrial buildings, through its history remained a significant part of the regional economy with a normal working force of over 2,000 workers through most of its history and the role in the economy as a major purchaser of local goods and even, at one point, being the largest consumer of electric power and gas in the county. At its peak, during World War II (1943), the plant employed over 3,400 people. According to Bethlehem Steel Corporation literature, the plant was “the world’s largest single plant for the manufacture of general-line and specialty fasteners.” The general office at One Cumberland Street included the payroll services of the operation, as shown by physical evidence still remaining in the building including a teller’s window with bars, and a Bethlehem Steel safe. Two large vaults also remain in the building. Even in its final few years before closing, the plant’s workforce numbered in the hundreds.
Bethlehem Steel Corporation closed its Lebanon Plant, and with it its general office at One Cumberland Street, in 1986. The building was sold in May 1986 to the Fourth Lincoln Corporation, was leased to the Lancaster-Lebanon Intermediate Unit 13 in 1989, and the purchase option exercised when the building was purchased by the Lancaster-Lebanon Joint Authority in March 1991. The Lancaster-Lebanon Joint Authority remains the owner of the building.
Renovations began in July 2001 at the One Cumberland Street facility and were completed in July 2002. The building is now the home of several IU13 programs, serving students from preschool through adult.
The showpiece of the main floor is the Bethlehem Steel conference and meeting room. This room has been redone to maintain the historic character of the building. It also contains an original Bethlehem Steel safe and a number of the artifacts that have been saved from the building. The floor tile of the Bethlehem Steel logo was preserved and is also on display in the room.
- First Built: 1907
- Leased by IU13: 1989
- Purchased by Lancaster-Lebanon Joint Authority: 1991
- Renovation: 2002
- Square Footage: 35,000 square feet
- About the Architecture: Late Victorian industrial use with mixed features including gothic window details, beaux arts influence, and polychromatic effect in stone, designed using natural materials including rose-colored soft Mount Gretna Brick, granite, and sandstone.