Success Stories | IU13
Menu
Text resize
A
A

Serving education, businesses, and the community.

Success Stories

Meet some of the many successful IU13 Community Education alumni!

KennyMeet Kenny – “This place is definitely where you can get a second chance.”

YomarisMeet Yomarys “Summer youth internship opens minds and doors to career options”

• When Yomarys Brens signed up to participate in an IU13 summer internship, she had no idea that it would lead her to a career in the field of elder care.  Read more about Yomarys here.

Carmen

Meet Carmen“She taught me that you can do anything if you put your mind to it.” 

BensonMeet Benson – “I was down here. Now I am at the top!” 

SamboMeet Sambo – “… it’s never too late.” 

• Born in a Thailand refugee camp, Sambo Bun relocated to the US in 1985 with her mother, brother, and grandmother. Today, Sambo is a single mom, caregiver for her brother, part-time waitress, and full-time HACC student who has traveled a difficult road. Read more about Sambo’s story and successes here.​

Community School studentsMeet Binit “Improving English language skills and making friends”

• Since arriving as a refugee in 2014, Binit has participated in English conversation classes, after-school activities, and a summer educational program. Read more about Binit here.

Graduation cap and diploma

Meet Jose  – “It was worth the effort, worth the push.”

• Since he passed the GED exams, Jose Santiago has found a higher-paying job, started college coursework, and acquired an unshakeable sense of accomplishment. Read more about Jose here.

Heather

Meet Heather – “I was so scared because I had started and stopped so many times.”

• Over 20 years had passed since Heather Corch dropped out of high school when she decided to earn her GED. “It had been a thorn in my side for a lot of years. I wanted the GED for my own personal satisfaction.” Read more about Heather’s story and successes here. ​

Hong Lam familyMeet Hong Lam – “You set a goal and step by step, you keep going.”

• Hong Lam would like to send a message to current students in IU13’s Community Education Program. “Question Yourself. Do you live up to your capabilities? Did you give yourself a chance? Did you try your best? Who do you want to become?” Read more about Hong Lam’s story and successes here.​

JuanMeet Juan – “Facing a drop-dead deadline, GED student beats the odds.”

Explore Success Stories