Meet some of the many successful IU13 Community Education alumni!
- A one-time car thief sees a GED unlocking his future. Read about Kenny Shaub Jr. (photo credit: Lancaster Newspapers)
Meet Yomarys – “Summer youth internship opens minds and doors to career options”
- When Yomarys Brens signed up to participate in an IU13 summer internship, she had no idea that it would lead her to a career in the field of elder care. Read more about Yomarys here.
Meet Carmen – “She taught me that you can do anything if you put your mind to it.”
- “I didn’t know I was hurting myself,” says Carmen Martinez of dropping out of high school at 16. Read more about Carmen’s story and successes here.
Meet Benson – “I was down here. Now I am at the top!”
- From artist to dishwasher to Certified Nursing Assistant, Benson Myrtil’s varied work experiences have taken him from his Haiti birthplace to Lititz. Read more about Benson’s story and successes here.
Meet Sambo – “… it’s never too late.”
- Born in a Thailand refugee camp, Sambo Bun relocated to the US in 1985 with her mother, brother, and grandmother. Today, Sambo is a single mom, caregiver for her brother, part-time waitress, and full-time HACC student who has traveled a difficult road. Read more about Sambo’s story and successes here.
Meet Binit – “Improving English language skills and making friends”
- Since arriving as a refugee in 2014, Binit has participated in English conversation classes, after-school activities, and a summer educational program. Read more about Binit here.
Meet Jose – “It was worth the effort, worth the push.”
- Since he passed the GED exams, Jose Santiago has found a higher-paying job, started college coursework, and acquired an unshakeable sense of accomplishment. Read more about Jose here.
Meet Heather – “I was so scared because I had started and stopped so many times.”
- Over 20 years had passed since Heather Corch dropped out of high school when she decided to earn her GED. “It had been a thorn in my side for a lot of years. I wanted the GED for my own personal satisfaction.” Read more about Heather’s story and successes here.
Meet Hong Lam – “You set a goal and step by step, you keep going.”
- Hong Lam would like to send a message to current students in IU13’s Community Education Program. “Question Yourself. Do you live up to your capabilities? Did you give yourself a chance? Did you try your best? Who do you want to become?” Read more about Hong Lam’s story and successes here.
Meet Juan – “Facing a drop-dead deadline, GED student beats the odds.”
- Read about Juan Vadi. (photo credit: Lancaster Newspapers)