Lancaster-Lebanon Reading Olympics
Reading Olympics is a student competition designed to promote independent reading skills while fostering collaboration and team-building. The teams come together in the spring at IU13 to answer questions about the predetermined books. The teams accumulate points for every correct answer during three rounds of questioning, earning each team member a blue, red, or white ribbon based on the number of points their team has earned.
- In each school, teams of 8-12 students are formed. Each team is responsible for reading the preselected books. This can be covered however the team decides; for example, each student reads 5 books on the list.
- The Reading Olympics is quiz-bowl-style competition. Teams earn points by answering plot, summary, and character questions about each book on the list.
Save the Dates:
- Lancaster-Lebanon Reading Olympics - Elementary (Grades 4-5) - May 9, 2019
- Lancaster-Lebanon Reading Olympics - Middle School (Grades 6-8) - May 20, 2019
- Lancaster-Lebanon Reading Olympics - High School (Grades 9-12) - April 26, 2019
All events take place in the IU13 Conference Center.
Every year, librarians and reading specialists are invited to take part in selecting the books for the following year’s book lists. Volunteers are then recruited to read the books and create questions to be asked at the events. If there are books on the list that you feel are unsuitable for your students to read, then they do not have to read them. Please let us know of these concerns so we can pass along the feedback. During the actual event, though, questions will not be discarded because a team has not read a book.
- Elementary Book List 2019 - Updated file 9/13/2018
- Middle School Book List 2019
- High School Book List 2019
Note: Titles highlighted in yellow are new to the Reading Olympics program and libraries may not already have them on the shelves.
- Team Formation
- Student Responsibilities
- Chaperone Responsibilities
- Building Coordinator Responsibilities
- Quick Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Stay tuned for registration information!